Monday, October 17, 2011

Emmett's Fight -- Button Battery Awareness Campaign

Button batteries are all around us.  Remote controls, garage door openers, car key fobs, tea lights, bathroom scales, singing cards.  These seemingly harmless little batteries are the source of many tragedies, and sometimes even death, every year.  These batteries are easily accessible by small children, and if swallowed, can have extremely negative side effects.  Once stuck in a child’s throat, saliva triggers an electrical current which causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours.  This exact tragic situation happened about a year ago to a small child that lives in my town.  His name is Emmett and he is a living miracle and inspiration.  Upon swallowing a button battery, his esophogas was horrifically burned, and he had to have two inches removed.   Now age two, Emmett has undergone over 20 surgeries, and hasn't stopped fighting.  The campaign bearing his namesake was organized to promote awareness and provide  support to others in similar situations.  Go to to learn more about his story and this campaign.

Emmett's Fight is hosting a benefit during the first two weeks of November to raise funds and promote awareness.  I am honored to be a part of this event.  I have created a couple of items (see here) to sell for this wonderful cause.  100% of the profits from the sales of these items will be donated to the cause.  Other small business will be participating and sponsoring this even as well.  Tricia from Baby Night Night Boutique is selling t-shirts.  See them here.  

I am so grateful personally for this campaign in that it has helped me to become aware of a situation found within my own home that could be potentially very dangerous to my little ones.  Spreading the word will save lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment