Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Valentine Box for a little boy-- LEGO style

I have two little boys, and it's always a challenge around Valentines Day to come up with a good idea for a Valentines Day card box that isn't too girly.  Last year, I failed miserably.  Their boxes were full on decked out in hearts and glitter and doilies -- they had fun so it was just fine.  This year, I wanted them to love their boxes and not be embarrassed when looking back at pictures 20 years from now.

I was at Joann's looking for inspiration, when I came across a piece of Lego scrapbook paper.  Light bulb: make their Valentine boxes into actual Legos!    Problem solved!

Here's how to do it!


At this point, you could wrap the box in plain paper if you like (to smooth it all out, and make it easier to paint later.)  I didn't, but sort of wish I had.


 Spray your boxes with a can of bright red spray paint!  You can still see some of the old box design through the spray paint (which is why I wish I would have wrapped them first.)  BUT, they are kid Valentine boxes that will be used once, so I am okay with it.  :)

Allow to dry, and before you know it, you will have a super fun Valentines Day box for your little guy (or gal!)

12 comments:

  1. smart thinking! This turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we'll borrow this idea! Thanks Heidi - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Heidi! I bet the boys love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute and how funny that I just finished up making a Lego Guy for Brizden's valentines box today! I'm posting about it tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son would have loved this! He is LEGO OBSESSED!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using this idea. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the tutorial and awesome creativity!

    I just stopped by to let you know that I linked your lego tutorial in a boy inspired Valentine's day box collage that I just posted on my blog.

    Here is the link if you would like to check it out: http://fakeitandyoullmakeit.blogspot.com/2013/02/boys-valentine-box-ideas.html

    Thanks for the inspiration and original ideas!

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Idea my son is in Kindergarten so this will be easy for him to help with and Enjoy thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think if I use spray paint primer first, it will cover better? I'm not really sure. I have never spray painted. I do love this idea, and I'm going to do it.

    ReplyDelete